[Biopython-dev] Moving from CVS to git

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Thu Aug 20 13:06:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Peter<biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Bartek - do you think we need git on any of the other OBF machines
> in addition to dev.open-bio.org (current IP 207.154.17.71)?

What we _need_ is a single machine, where we can run scripts from cron
and where git is installed. That's why I requested the installation on
dev.open-bio machine (it happens to be the only one I have an account
on). The idea is to run something from cron and pull from github to
have a backup copy of an up-to-date branch. The scripts can (after
each update) push to other machines.

> However, I'd like to have http://biopython.org/SRC/biopython
> kept up to date (also available via www.biopython.org and
> biopython.open-bio.org - these are all the same machine,
> IP 207.154.17.70). It might be easiest to do that with git
> installed on that machine too - or do you think it would be
> simpler to push the latest files from dev.open-bio.org instead?

There is no need for git on the www-server machine if we only want to
publish the code, or a read-only git branch over http for download. I
think it's easier to have a single place where cron jobs are run.

However, If we wanted to hook the scripts to github notifications
rather than to cron, then we need some way to trigger scripts by a hit
to a webpage, in which case it _might_ be easier to set things up on
the machine with a web server.  But I think we should be fine with the
machinery running on the dev. machine.

There is one remaining issue: We would need to have some directory
where the branch would be kept. Currently it sits in my home directory
whic probably should be changed to something like
/home/biopython/git_branch. I am in biopython group, but currently
/home/biopython does not even allow me to see /home/biopython, not to
mention writing into it. I think it would be the best to set the
scripts to run as biopython user.

> There is also the public CVS server, cvs.biopython.org aka
> cvs.open-bio.org (IP 207.154.17.75) but I doubt we will need
> to worry about that one in future.

Certainly. I don't think we need to worry about this one.

Bartek