[Biopython-dev] Drafting announcement for Biopython 1.51?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 09:49:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:47 AM, David
Winter<winda002 at student.otago.ac.nz> wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>>
>> Hi David & John,
>>
>> Would either of you be able to draft a release announcement for
>> Biopython 1.51? We're aiming for the end of this week... touch wood.
>
> We'll definitely aim to have something for the list to check out in the next
> 24hrs. I guess the main points are all the Cool New Stuff from the beta
> being in a stable release for the first time, FASTQ has been shown to play
> nicely with across a bunch of projects and Application.generic_run() is now
> on the deprecation path?

Historically we haven't made a big thing about deprecations in the
release announcements. Maybe we should - in which case also
note that Bio.Fasta has finally been deprecated.

> On that note, would it be useful to have a cookbook example or even a
> blog-post ready to go showing a few of the ways one might use subprocess to
> run commands defined with Biopython? I'm happy to put something together
> that others can evaluate.

The tutorial has several examples at the end of the chapter on
alignments (because lots of the wrappers at the moment are for
alignment tools). I've just updated the copy online to the current
version from CVS (dated 10 August 2009). If you can spot any
errors in the next couple of days we can get them fixed before
the release.