[Biopython-dev] Git on Windows

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Apr 29 16:10:28 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I just wanted to say I've had a very quick test of git on Windows,
using the git package from cygwin, and it seems to work OK.  After
copying my SSH key over from my main machine, I was able to clone my
github repository, merge from the upstream Biopython branch (i.e. the
one being updated from CVS), and push this back to my personal github
repository.

Why did I use git from cygwin?  Well I have cygwin installed anyway
for mingw32 (the compiler used for the Biopython Windows installers
for Python 2.3 to 2.5), and was already using the cvs package from
cygwin, so this seemed simplest.