[Biopython-dev] history on github - where are the tags?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 14:30:20 UTC 2009

> From some more reading this, it sounds like our CVS tags are
> essentially turned into commit markers in git.  See:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#how-git-stores-references
> http://book.git-scm.com/3_git_tag.html
>
> This shouldn't rule out showing them in the history, but perhaps the
> cvs to git migration confuses things...

By setting up a toy repository with tags done though git itself (I
assume), Bartek has convinced me that GitHub itself never shows the
tags in the history.  I think this is big drawback, and that we should
ask GitHub about this.

However, using the Mac GUI tool GitX, I was able to see the tags in
the history using the toy repository (they show up as nice yellow
blobs), but not using the current Biopython CVS to git conversion.
There appears to be something less than ideal about our CVS to git
conversion.  I believe this relates to how the tag commits appear in
the commit tree - and it looks like for Biopython they are all tiny
branches off the main trunk.  i.e. If you look at the main trunk
history (overall or for any one file) then tags commits are not in it.

This hunch appears to be supported by the git log output:

$ git clone git://github.com/biopython/biopython.git
$ cd biopython
$ git log --graph --all

* commit 8fb446965d58f266ba8bf41a992a09e4bedbac3e
| Author: peterc <peterc>
| Date:   Mon Apr 20 16:07:41 2009 +0000
|
|     Bump the version number now that Biopython 1.50 is released
|
| * commit 4ed11049092d86704a2a15359c77459bad30e291
|/  Author: cvs2dvcs transform <biopython-dev at biopython.org>
|   Date:   Mon Apr 20 10:48:32 2009 +0000
|
|       This commit was manufactured by cvs2svn to create tag 'biopython-150'.

* commit 29aa4df3480cdee803694766f137ab2baf5625b2
| Author: peterc <peterc>
| Date:   Mon Apr 20 10:48:31 2009 +0000
|
|     You don't have to email Iddo to get on the CONTRIB file

In comparison, for Bartek's toy repository there is a single branch shown.