[Biopython-dev] Merging branches

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 10:35:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

2009/4/5 Bartek Wilczynski <bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org>:
> If you could be a bit more specific (providing the files and revision numbers
> would be great), than it would be easier to help. I know it is an extra work,
> but we need some info, also to improve our wiki documents.

I would like to replace this:
http://github.com/tiagoantao/biopython-popgen-test/blob/fa5ebc23e7aaabce94ae594d9a4f83be9bf90215/Bio/PopGen/Stats/Simple.py
With this:
http://github.com/dalloliogm/biopython/blob/cbaf6249cb91ed505cb575f09c2eaef3809872b9/Bio/PopGen/Stats/Simple.py
It would be cool not to loose the history relationship (I suppose that
would be the good practice).

> This means, that if you only need a part of what was committed as a
> big changeset,
> you will need to put an extra effort into selecting what you need.

But how do you do that (other than manually copying files)? Cherry
pick seems to be commit based...

> Looking at specific files is not the default way things work in git.
> The idea is that if
> someone makes a single commit, it is an atomic contribution that is
> either to be
> accepted or not. You can of course create a diff file and then split
> it into specific files.
> I'll look into possible easier ways of doing it.

The point is: wanting to use part of a commit without loosing history.
In my case, I dont want to import a test_PopGen_Fst file that Gio has.
That being said, I dont think this is a big deal. I was just to
preserve the history connectivity between repositiories. I think we
can just use the old fashioned method of copying some files around.
But it would be good to know if there is a "best practice" (which, I
could not find out)

Tiago
PS - I might have to go under surgery this week, if I stop responding
for a long time, my apologies in advance but I am probably recovering.