[Biopython-dev] Preparing for Biopython 1.48

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:25:31 UTC 2008

Hi All,

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>wrote:

> (As an aside, once we support numpy, having scipy as an optional
> dependency for the statistics Tiago wanted to use in Bio.PopGen does
> seem less onerous.)

First, my apologies for not reporting back from BOSC,but I was in a
conference/professional visit spree for the last 3 months, returned last
most. Basically it was not OK: I arrived there from a previous conference
and did the presentation without little sleep, it was probably the sloppiest
presentation in my whole life. My sincere apologies.

On a better front, I have a lot of new content for Bio.PopGen, a few
remarks:
1. No documentation and testing done, so I will skip adding content to 1.48.
But I will surely add to 1.49.
2. None of the new content relies on scipy (as there was no agreement on
that), but being able to use scipy would make things much easier. Most of
anything that can be called "population genetics" is nothing more than
statistics (statistics were invented because of population genetics). So a
change in policy would be welcomed (and would make Bio.PopGen really useful
for a wide audience - currently it has only niche users).

In another front, we published a paper using content from Bio.PopGen 1.44
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/9/323

Regards,
Tiago