[Biopython-dev] What would we gain by dropping python 2.3?

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 14:19:06 UTC 2008

Peter wrote:
> I was wondering what benefits we would see by dropping support for
> Python 2.3 after the next release (or next couple of releases?).

Support for Numpy 1.2 as I suspect that most people would have (or
should have) upgraded to 2.4 for bug and performance gains. I
have not looked at the major Linux distros like Fedora and Ubuntu to
know when these dropped Python 2.3 for the standard Python install.

But I also must add that there is no numpy Windows binary installation
for Python 2.6 and does not seem likely to be an official one in the
near future (technical issues with regards to the official Windows
binary for Python 2.6).

> Note that Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger uses Python 2.3.5, so there could still
> be a fair number of people out there still interested in using
> Biopython on Python 2.3 (in addition to my own current Windows
> development machine).  Before making any plans to drop Python 2.3
> support we should canvas the main mailing list.

Also some of the older Red Hat / Centos systems still run it - joys of
these long-term releases.

How many bug reports are with Python 2.3 from people with an interest in
Python 2.3 not just testing it?

To me the issue is about supporting different versions in the medium
term (5 years) given that NumPy and Biopython will have been rewritten
for Python 3.0 and most people will be using Python 3.0. I think that if
the burden is too great to support a Python version it should be
officially dropped. Of course any criteria bug or feature can be
backported to earlier versions if requested.

I would recommend that this starts a new minor version i.e 1.5 so it is
clear that Biopython 1.5+ is Python 2.4+ only. (I also note the recent
changes in the cvs that would justify this anyhow.)

Bruce