[Biopython-dev] Bio.Graphics and GenomeDiagram

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 10:24:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Leighton Pritchard <lpritc at scri.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while ago I wrote the GenomeDiagram library for drawing images of genomes
> and other large biological sequences, and collections of sequences
> (http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/lp/programs.php#genomediagram).  ...
> Now that I have managed to free up a little bit of time I'd like to revisit
> GenomeDiagram, tidy up the internals some more ..., and contribute it
> to Bio.Graphics ..
> I suggested something doing similar a while ago and got no feedback - does
> anyone object to this contribution, in principle or in practice?  Or are
> there any other comments?  I'm all (well, mostly) ears...

I'm in favour of this (and have actually chatted to Leighton about
this off list).

One small thing I would change is switching colour to color for the
argument/properties (the American spelling of color is the norm in all
programming usage).  Anyone using the existing stand alone
GenomeDiagram library would have to make some small changes anyway
(new import statements), so if there are going to be any other API
changes it would be best to do them at the same time.