[Biopython-dev] Numpy conversion

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 00:24:18 UTC 2008

Bio.kNN is the only module that imports Bio.distance. Bio.distance is written in Python, but it also imports a C version of Bio.distance if it is available. From the comments in the code, I gather that the purpose of the C-version is to get fast distance calculations without using Numeric / NumPy. However, Bio.kNN itself uses Numeric / NumPy, which defeats the purpose of the C-version of Bio.distance.

I would therefore like to propose to add a NumPy-aware version of the code in Bio.distance to Bio.kNN, and to deprecate Bio.distance.

Any objections?

--Michiel.