[Biopython-dev] Bio.EZRetrieve appears to be obsolete or redunant

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 17:06:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> The Bio.EZRetrieve module retrieves a single nucleotide sequence from
> EZRetrieve website:
> http://siriusb.umdnj.edu:18080/EZRetrieve/single_r.jsp
> It requires a human, rat or mouse nucleic GenBank, UniGene, LocusLink, or
> IMAGE ID. No other genomes are supported.
>
> Although it appears faster than a Bio.GenBank query, I do not see that this
> module provides any special functionality than that already provided by
> Bio.GenBank and similar. So I think this module is obsolete and redundant.

Note the online bits of Bio.GenBank are considered obsoleted by
Bio.Entrez anyway.  Maybe we should actually deprecate these for
Biopython 1.49...

I would agree in some ways  Bio.EZRetrieve module is also obsolete and
redundant, see also:
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2008-March/003503.html

Unless anyone wants to defend Bio.EZRetrieve, let's ask on the main
list about declaring it obsolete for Biopython 1.49 (documentation
change only) and deprecating it in the next release (adding a warning
only).