[Biopython-dev] PopGen status and new developments

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 18:11:30 UTC 2008

Tiago Antão wrote:
> A. Platform support
>
> As Peter noticed there is no Simcoal for the Mac. In a couple of weeks
> I hope to have access to a Mac in order to try to compile it. In any
> case I wont be able to distribute it without getting permission from
> the authors, so the problem might remain...
> I am now preparing support for LDNe, an application to estimate Ne
> (effective population size) from LD. This application is Dos(Windows)
> only. Source code is not available to the public (but the app is free
> as free beer). I've had access to the source and compiled a Linux
> version, again, I don't know if the author will let me distribute it.
> Question: How do people feel about supporting an application like
> this? Any strong feelings against?

Assuming the tools are useful, then I have no objection to including
command line wrappers for them in Biopython.

I'm not 100% sure what you meant by "supporting an application like
this", but if you are asking about supporting these cross-platform
ports of the actual command line tools, then I don't see that as
something Biopython should be doing.