[Biopython-dev] Bio.PopGen, Bio.EUtils data files

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sun May 25 12:06:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008, Michiel de Hoon wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> In setup.py, data files needed by Bio.EUtils and Bio.PopGen.SimCoal are now
> installed using a specialized install_data_biopython class. For Bio.Entrez, I am
> using the package_data argument to the setup function instead. Does anybody
> know why the install_data_biopython class was used? If there's no specific
> reason, I'd prefer to use the package_data argument instead.

I think I've found one reason not to - it doesn't seem to be supported
in Python 2.3 as shown here:

C:\TEMP\biopython_cvs\biopython_all\biopython>c:\Python23\python.exe
setup.py install
c:\Python23\lib\distutils\dist.py:227: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option:
 'package_data'
  warnings.warn(msg)
running install

If I'd known this earlier, I would of course have said something.  On
the other hand, I may be the only person still using Biopython with
python 2.3.