[Biopython-dev] Reportlab requirement

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 12:07:15 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

Currently, setup.py checks if Reportlab is installed or not. If not, you get the following message:

*** Reportlab *** is either not installed or out of date.

This package is optional, which means it is only used in a few
specialized modules in Biopython.  You probably don't need this if you
are unsure.  You can ignore this requirement, and install it later if
you see ImportErrors.
You can find Reportlab at http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html.

Do you want to continue this installation? (Y/n)

Reportlab is only used in Bio.Graphics. Unlike e.g. Numeric, Reportlab can be installed later if needed without having to rebuild Biopython. The Biopython unit tests already skip Bio.Graphics if Reportlab is not found.

 So I think it is sufficient to check for Reportlab presence only if a user tries to use Bio.Graphics. This will save us the "Do you want to continue this installation? (Y/n) " question above, which may scare of users (and I am quite tired of it myself, too)...

Any objections?

--Michiel.