[Biopython-dev] Bio.KDTree

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 11:38:13 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

Bio.KDTree is currently the only piece of C++ code in Biopython. C++ doesn't compile cleanly on all platforms (for example it is missing in the Biopython installer for Python 2.3 on Windows); some platforms don't even have a C++ compiler. For this reason, setup.py asks the user each time if Bio.KDTree should be compiled. Does anybody (Thomas?) mind if I convert this code to plain C? That would be a nice weekend project. Then we can get rid of the question in setup.py, and Bio.KDTree can be made available on all platforms.

--Michiel.