[Biopython-dev] Bug 2533 - Support for simple "tab" format in Bio.SeqIO

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 12:30:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Leighton Pritchard <lpritc at scri.ac.uk> wrote:
> Only that you might want to consider Axon Text File format as a
> self-describing tab-separated format which would facilitate storage and
> recovery of all attributes of a sequence.  There's a spec here:
>
> http://www.moleculardevices.com/pages/software/gn_genepix_file_formats.html

Its an interesting and flexible file format, but I don't see any
standard column name for "sequence" which would be of particular
interest from the point of view of the Bio.SeqIO module.  If there is
a de-facto convention for storing sequence data in an Axon Text File,
then we could adopt this within Bio.SeqIO.  Otherwise, I think any
Axon Text File parser added to Biopython would have to be of much more
general nature (and not part of Bio.SeqIO).