[Biopython-dev] What happened to Biopython 1.46?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 08:11:06 UTC 2008

We were recently talking about doing another release, but as you may
have noticed nothing has been announced.

Michiel devoted a good chunk of his weekend to preparing Biopython
1.46 and uploaded it to the servers on Sunday 29th.  He didn't issue
an announcement email at the time due to the problem with the wiki
being read only (now fixed).  However, on the Monday evening I
realised I'd done something really stupid in Bio.Data.CodonTable just
before the CVS freeze.  Table 15 (Blepharisma Macronuclear) would be
used whenever a translation table was requested by name.  This change
has been reverted, and I've added further translation checks in
test_seq.py to avoid any similar issue in future.

So, while there is a Biopython 1.46, we're not going to advertise it
because the translation functionality is subtly wrong.  However, it is
up on the website, and linked to with an errata statement.

Michiel will kindly try and prepare Biopython 1.47 soon... so please
hold off any big changes in CVS until then.

And I'm hearby publicly promising to treat him to dinner - hopefully
we'll be in the same country at the same time this year!