[Biopython-dev] NumPy

David Chin david.w.h.chin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 15:11:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 20:12, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
[snip]

> [snip] As far as I can tell, MMTK and PyMOL are (still?) based on the "old"
> Numerical Python, but Matplotlib now relies on the "new" Numerical Python.

I've been using Matplotlib with Numpy on Linux (RedHat 3,4, Fedora
5-9) and MacOSX (10.3, 10.4) for the last 6 years or so. Matplotlib
has been using Numpy for at least 3 years, and it's been very stable.
I never found the lack of printable documentation to be a problem
because the built-in doc strings (easily accessible with ipython) and
the available tutorials were more than adequate.

As for binary compatibility, I would suggest biting the bullet and
doing the port of the C extensions to 1.2 at the same time.  I've had
to port some of my numpy-1.1 C extensions to numpy-1.2, and it wasn't
bad at all. But then, all I was doing was reading into standard Python
objects rather than Numpy-specific ones. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
   Dave Chin

--
Email: david.w.h.chin AT gmail.com dwchin AT lroc.harvard.edu
http://gallatin.physics.lsa.umich.edu/~dwchin/Work