[Biopython-dev] Statistics code

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 17:35:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>  Its not out of the question, but what exactly do you need from SciPy?
>  If its a very simple thing we might be better off just duplicating it,
>  e.g. in the Bio.Statistics module.

I know that this will sound ridiculous, but, in the long run I will
need almost everything.
Statistics was invented because and for population genetics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Fisher
It is at the core of population genetics (actually, without it,
Bio.PopGen is really nothing relevant).
Bio.Statistics has not much content now...

But this requirement could be completely isolated (as is the
requirement for external programs). Not having a statistical library
would only mean not using Bio.PopGen.Stats . The impact to other
modules would be null.

I would imagine this problem (requiring external libraries) to appear
from time to time as new functionality is included. It will only not
appear if Biopython stops in time.

SciPy is a stable project, not an obscure library.

Tiago