[Biopython-dev] Configuration files

Peter biopython-dev at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 10:52:48 UTC 2007

Tiago Antão wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any (Biopython standard) way to configure Biopython during
> runtime? When writing code sometimes I think it would be very
> convenient (especially to the programmer using Biopython) to abstract
> some configuration parameters away from the code. Things like the
> location of binaries, hosts, user names (and maybe passwords) of
> databases, timeout parameters, etc. These could be stored on a
> configuration file (or registry entry, or whatever) thus saving users
> to have to deal in the code with supplying these...
> Just an idea...

This sounds like a fairly general thing (i.e. for all of python) rather
than being Biopython specific.

For example, I find a lot of my scripts have a few if statements at the
top setting locations of files and executables based on which
user/machine I'm running on (I use both Windows and a couple of Linux
boxes with different user names).

e.g. Where are the blast executables, the blast databases, and my genome
collection, ...