[Biopython-dev] Tutorial documentation for Bio.SeqIO

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 15 15:57:05 UTC 2007

Peter wrote:
> Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:
>> I've changed the links to the example files to relative paths, and
>> added these files on the server. With the relative paths, links should
>> work both on the web page and from the local documentation as
>> contained in the Biopython distribution.
>
> Sadly it looks like hevea has mangled your relative links.  They looked
> fine in LaTeX, but the HTML file you put online contains things like <A
> HREF="ls_orchid.fasta"> which of course fails.

Are you sure you're looking at the latest version of the HTML? Maybe
your browser is showing you an older page from cache. On my browser, I'm
seeing <A HREF="examples/ls_orchid.fasta">.

> I think it would be simpler and safer to just use an absolute URL to the
> webpage copy, and mention in the text that the files are included in the
> source code.

> By the way - am I right in thinking that the Windows installer does not
> come with the documentation directory?  I would assume that some Windows
> users would just download the PDF tutorial and put it anywhere on their
> hard disk (its what I would do!), in which case there is no way the
> relative links idea could work.

That's right: The Windows installer comes without the documentation.

As a solution, we can include both links -- a local one for off-line
use, and an absolute URL for safety.

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics