[Biopython-dev] Bio.SeqIO

Chris Lasher chris.lasher at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 04:00:01 UTC 2007

On 3/6/07, Peter <biopython-dev at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Only Michiel has replied, so I assume there are no other strong views on
> the dev mailing list.

If you're still soliciting opinions, here's mine: I am really fond of
the SeqIO.parse function, rather than SeqIO.read, since read is a
builtin function. Different namespaces, but parse is unambiguous.

For remaining function/method names, I would really prefer to stick to
the PEP 8 style guide, which specifies:

> Function Names
>
>  Function names should be lowercase, with words separated by underscores
>  as necessary to improve readability.
>
>  mixedCase is allowed only in contexts where that's already the
>  prevailing style (e.g. threading.py), to retain backwards compatibility.

e.g., to_dict() instead of toDict().

Thanks again for the work on SeqIO!

Chris