[Biopython-dev] Bio.AlignIO

Peter biopython-dev at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 13:34:02 UTC 2007

Michiel de Hoon wrote:
> Sure, that is possible, but that means we'd be adding methods to
> Alignment in order for it to behave like a list, whereas we can get
> that for free by letting the Alignment class inherit from list.
>
> --Michiel.

Personally I see an alignment as both an array of characters (i.e. amino
acid residues or nucleotides), and a list of sequences.

In the same way that a Numeric or NumPy array lets you iterate over
rows, yet also access individual elements, we could allow iteration of
SeqRecords and also allow access to individual letters.