[Biopython-dev] Accessing ExPASy through Bio.SwissProt / Bio.SeqIO

Michiel De Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Wed Dec 5 10:29:38 UTC 2007

> Or do we want to encourage Bio.SeqIO (which happens to call
> Bio.SwissProt.SProt internally)?

> This is the style I prefer (and is very similar to the related
> examples I added to the tutorial).  It separates fetching the data (as
> a handle) and parsing it (via SeqIO).

SeqIO.parse returns a SeqRecord; a SwissProt.parse returns a
SwissProt.SProt.Record.
Does the SeqRecord contain the same information as a SwissProt.SProt.Record?
Or is some information lost?
If they contain the same information, then I am in favor of encouraging
Bio.SeqIO.

--Michiel.

Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Columbia University
1150 St Nicholas Avenue
New York, NY 10032