[Biopython-dev] Floats and Double in Cluster

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Tue Jun 20 16:05:30 UTC 2006

Peter (BioPython Dev) wrote:
> One for Michiel, as the author of Bio.Cluster
>
> I've just been building the latest CVS code on Windows with MSVC 6.0
> (Microsoft Visual C++) and noticed there are a lot of warnings about
> double to float conversion (with associated data loss) from
> Bio/Cluster/ranlib.c (see attached output).
>
> Does this matter?

Probably not. The ranlib library is quite old (maybe fifteen years or
more). It was originally written in Fortran, and automatically converted
into C. Such conversions are usually not so clean, so the resulting code
tends to generate many warning messages. On the other hand, ranlib is a
part of Numerical Python (the RandomArray module), so if there were a
serious problem with it it would have been discovered by now.
I did find out recently though that there may be a licensing problem
with ranlib. Since we're using only a small part of ranlib in
Bio.Cluster, I'm planning to replace it with a different random number
generator for the next version.

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics