[Biopython-dev] Reading sequences: FormatIO, SeqIO, etc

Albert Krewinkel krewink at inb.uni-luebeck.de
Tue Aug 22 13:43:56 UTC 2006

I'd like to seriously start working on an EMBL parser, but there are
some things I'm concerned about: It surely would be a good thing to
build the SequenceIO and Parser stuff upon some base classes and agree
on using certain tools which are (or will be) used in the hole
project.  Since I never received any education/training on software
development, I would appreciate if someone can tell me how the code's
structure should look like -- the current Scanner/Consumer code isn't
any help.

> Several people have commented that BioPerl has a nice unified system
> with good documentation.

How about using reStructuredText in docstrings?  IMO it leaves the
.__doc__ string very readable but improves epydoc generated
descriptions.

Albert

--
Albert Krewinkel <krewink at inb.uni-luebeck.de>
University of Luebeck, Institute for Neuro- and Bioinformatics