[Biopython-dev] KEGG questions

Michiel De Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 20 18:17:00 EDT 2005

> I've been working on trying to make the KEGG Compound module useable.
Great! Thanks!

> Before I spend more time on it, I'd like to make sure there isn't a
> more recent version than the one I see in cvs from 2001
> (compound_format.py) and 2004 (__init__.py).

Are you familiar with the Kegg API:
http://www.genome.jp/kegg/soap/doc/keggapi_manual.html
This is what the Bioruby folks are using; it may be useful for Biopython
also.

> Would it be appropriate for me to submit my changes at this point?
> Or would it be best if I kept my changes to myself until I can make
> the compound_format work in a more general and appropriate way?

If you don't have CVS access, please submit changes through the "Bugs" link
on the Biopython website. I'll look at them after the upcoming 1.41 release.
If you do have CVS access, please hold off committing to CVS for a week or so
until the new release is out (to make sure only the stable code gets into the
release).

--Michiel.

Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Columbia University
1150 St Nicholas Avenue
New York, NY 10032