[Biopython-dev] Bug patches

Peter biopython-dev at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 05:39:01 EST 2005

Iddo Friedberg wrote:
> Actually, it is possible to post attachments to bug reports, and also to
> tag them specifically as patches, I just tested it.

When creating an attachment what exactly does the "patch" flag do?  Is
it for reporting (e.g. show me open bugs with a patch).  Should it only
be used when attaching a "diff"?

This isn't discussed on the bug writing help:

http://bugzilla.open-bio.org/bugwritinghelp.html

Is there a similar page anywhere for bug fixers?

In particular I would like to know how the developers would prefer any
"diff" files to be created.  A simple step by step example using two
example files ("cvs_version.py" and "my_version.py") would be great.

So far, I have been offering any small suggested fixes as a few lines of
code in the report, and trying to explain as clearly as possible where
they should go.

For bigger changes I have resorted to attaching entire edited python
files, stating which CVS revision they are based on.

 > An attachment cannot be posted when creating the bug report, but it
 > can be posted later, upon assignment.

This setup that forces any contributor with a new bug an fix to make two
postings on bugzilla (one to create the bug, one to add the patch) is a
bit odd, but is also used on Mozilla.

I guess the default setup assumes the bug report and fixer are usually
different people.

Thank you

PhD Student
MOAC Doctoral Training Centre