[Biopython-dev] Bio.Nexus

Frank Kauff fkauff at duke.edu
Fri Feb 18 09:09:21 EST 2005

Hi Michiel,

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 12:59 +0900, Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:
> Bio/Nexus/cnexus.c contains a "main" function that doesn't seem to be needed in
> Biopython. Can I remove it? Since this function is exported, it may (in theory
> at least) cause a conflict. Also, my compiler complains about it that "int main"
> doesn't return an int.

Not sure -  I simply strictly followed the Python documentation about
extensions: http://docs.python.org/ext/methodTable.html, because it's
the first extension I've ever written :-) The docs say that I need the
main function for calling the initialization function that passes the
method table to the interpreter.
But seems it's not needed within biopython - I works fine when I import
from Bio.Nexus (but not when importing Nexus.py directly from my own
Directory, it complains that it didn't define init function.

> I replaced the C++-style comments (//) in cnexus.c by ANSI-C style
comments (/*
> */). Strictly ANSI-compliant compilers (particularly on UNIX) may fail
> compile this code otherwise.

Good point, thanks.

Frank

--