[Biopython-dev] Future plans for Numerical Python

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Feb 3 22:35:22 EST 2005

Hi folks,

On the Numerical Python mailing list I read the less-than-brilliant idea
to remove LinearAlgebra, FFT, and RandomArray from Numerical
Python 30.0. LinearAlgebra and RandomArray are used in various parts in
Biopython. The numpy developer (who is also a SciPy developer) suggests
that people use the corresponding functions in SciPy. However, in my
experience SciPy is much harder to install than Numerical Python, so
this would result in a major hurdle for Biopython users. Hell, I'm
pretty good with Python now, but I haven't been able to figure out how
to get SciPy installed. So if you are as concerned about this as I am,
please let your voice be heard on the numpy mailing list:

numpy-discussion at lists.sourceforge.net

Several users have already complained about these plans, but so far the
developer has not caved in. Below is the original message.

--Michiel.