[Biopython-dev] To the core developers...

Long Li longlill at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 10:58:50 EST 2004

--- Jeffrey Chang <jeffrey.chang at duke.edu> wrote:

> However, I would like to point out, that as a
> community-based open
> source project, it is not Brad's, or anyone else's,
> responsibility to
> answer every question on the list, check every
> patch, and investigate
> every bug report.

Maybe Debian GNU/Linux is good example for us.  Many
volunteers maintain it successfully.  By the way,
BioPython has been a formal package of Debian
GNU/Linux now, its maintainer is Philipp Benner
<mail at philipp-benner.de>.
http://packages.debian.org/testing/python/python-biopython

>Biopython's grown to be too big a
> project for one
> person to manage

Yes, this project need more maintainers.  For each
module or package, it at lease need two or more
maintainers.  But there is no limit to ecah person, he
or she can maintain one or more modules/packages.

Another thing is that the maintains MUST post the
message to the bipython-dev list if he or she update
one module/package.  In fact, I think any technique
problem should be posted to the biopython-dev first,
after discussion, then modify the source code or write
new modules.

BioPython should also have more documents,especially
more examples, for biologists who want write some
simple source code to solve their problems.

Best regards,
Long