[Biopython-dev] To the core developers...

Michael Maibaum mike at maibaum.org
Tue Dec 7 05:24:30 EST 2004

On 7 Dec 2004, at 02:57, Jeffrey Chang wrote:

> Hi James, and everyone else,
>
> I think it is time for the project to move to a group managed system,
> where the responsibilities are distributed out to more people, and
> also more clearly.  While currently there are people roughly
> responsible for different sections of the code, possible other
> important "jobs" include making releases, checking in patches, fixing
> bug reports, responding to help requests on the mailing lists, and
> slightly lower priority, maintaining regression tests, documentation,
> updating the web page.  Currently, Brad does the lion's share of all
> this, and with (very roughly counting) nearly 600 *.py files in the
> repository now, it's getting hard.  It's time for people to step up
> and volunteer to take on more of these responsibilities.
>
> So what are your thoughts?  Does this make sense, and is there any
> interest in the community for trying to spread out the work?  The idea
> would be to give more people a stake and responsibility in the
> project, and someone (Iddo :) to oversee and help out where he can.
> Maintaining the project is too large a task for someone with a day
> job, and it's too hard for one person to be responsible for the
> majority of the work anymore.

I agree absolutely - one person (with other jobs) will not have enough
time to be able to cope with the demands of a successful project. If
there is anything I can do to help I'd certainly be interested
(probably in one of the patches/bugs/mailing list parts, I don't think
I know biopython well enough yet to write documentation or managing
releases).

I think a short term priority has to be to clean up the mailing list.
As a newcomer to biopython I reviewed the mailing list archives and
very nearly abandoned ideas of using it. The first impression it gives
is of a dead project, with so much spam that the lists are very hard to
search for past information. I think the lists should switch over to
subscription only, while I understand the utility of non-members being
able to post that benefit is swamped by the spam problem in the
archives and the negative first impression.

Michael