[Biopython-dev] Re: New: Error in Compiling DNAUtils

f.sohm at whsmithnet.co.uk f.sohm at whsmithnet.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 07:43:10 EDT 2004

Hi

Sorry for the bug. I have never seen this one on linux before, but I have
never
tried it with Python 2.2 either.

The Restriction package (which DNAUtils is part of) will not work with
Python2.2

A fix might be to try to update your Python to version 2.3
If you update and still get the problem let me know.

If you don't want or can't update your python, it will need a bit more work.
You will need to comment out the following lines in the biopython setup.py
script :

   lines 437-439 :

       Extension('Bio.Restriction.DNAUtils',
               ['Bio/Restriction/DNAUtils.c']
               ),

To comment, put a # in front of them. This will break the Restriction
package but it would not have worked on Python2.2 anyway.

Hope this is of some help

Fred