[Biopython-dev] Notification: incoming/115

biopython-bugs at bioperl.org biopython-bugs at bioperl.org
Fri Jan 10 16:47:11 EST 2003

JitterBug notification

new message incoming/115

Message summary for PR#115
	From: Thomas Hamelryck <thamelry at vub.ac.be>
	Subject: Re: [Biopython-dev] Notification: incoming/114
	Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:54:09  0100
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

From: Thomas Hamelryck <thamelry at vub.ac.be>
To: biopython-bugs at bioperl.org
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:54:09 +0100

> Hi. I wanted to try out your KDTree module, but the file _KDTree.py tries
> to import _KDtreec (line 2).
>
> This is not in the Win distribution, nor does it show up when I build
> biopython from the CVS under Solaris.
>
> Am I missing something obvious?

I don't know about the Win distribution. Most likely the KDTree module simply
wasn't included. Anyone?

Under Solaris, there is some kind of problem with building the module, most
likely due to some bug in Distutils (as far as I could see it's a problem
with the compilation flags during the creation of the shared library). So the
module isn't built, and you get an import error. Unfortunately, I do not have
access to Solaris, so I cannot look into it.

Could you send me the compilation output? Mmmrrh, I suddenly realize that the
problem is quite likely that the C++ module is being compled with gcc and not
g++.

gcc    assumes preprocessed (.i) files are C and assumes C style linking.
g++    assumes preprocessed (.i) files are C++ and assumes C++ style linking.

-Thomas

---
Thomas Hamelryck      Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
Intitute for Molecular Biology           ULTR Department
Paardenstraat 65   1640 Sint-Gensius-Rode    Belgium
              http://ultr.vub.ac.be/~thomas