[Biopython-dev] Python 2.3 [Was Re: [BioPython] GRAVY index program anyone?]

Yves Bastide Yves.Bastide at irisa.fr
Mon Aug 4 03:51:22 EDT 2003

Jeffrey Chang wrote:
> On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 02:04  AM, Andrew Dalke wrote:
>
>> BTW, I've been experimenting with some of the new 2.3 features.
>

> What is everyone's feelings about Python 2.3 for Biopython?  I'd rather
> be conservative with the versioning (Biopython now requires Python 2.2),
> so that people aren't required to upgrade their Python.  However, if
> there are compelling features in 2.3 that people need to use, that might
> be a good reason to bump up the requirement for the next release.  Are
> there features that people need, and are using in 2.3?  I haven't
> upgraded mine yet.

* enumerate: easy to duplicate.
* The dict() constructor: ditto.
* Universal newline support: nice, though Biopython should do it OK by now.
* Some nice modules: logging, csv, optparse.  None useful for Biopython.

All in all, I think it's best to stick to Python 2.2 -- well, to
incrementally upgrade Biopython to Python 2 :)

> Jeff

yves