[Biopython-dev] biocorba

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Wed Mar 13 11:07:09 EST 2002

Hi Cayte;

>   Recently I finished a book called Art of the Genes.

Mmmm, development. Don't know if I could bring myself to read this
after all of those painful papers on fly wing development I sludged
through in genetics :-).

> I'd like to do the graphics in java, because python is
> pretty limited in this regard.

What kind of stuff do you want to do? There are quite a few libraries
out there for python for tons of different things -- although, I hear
the java 3D drawing code is very nice; I don't know if there is anything
equivalent for python.

Then again, I don't do much graphics stuff. Pretty pictures are not my
forte; sadly my brother got all the art skills in the family.

> could biocorba be the best glue?

Not sure exactly what you are doing, but BioCorba is meant for
trasferring sequence-style objects with features and annotations and the
like. If you are doing stuff like this BioCorba works great -- the
interoperability with the BioJava implementation had lots of testing at
the hackathon, and appears to be mostly bug-free (fingers crossed :-).

If you are doing fancier stuff, jython might be your best bet.

Brad