[Biopython-dev] Bioformat module

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 5 10:06:41 EST 2002

Brad:
>Yup, always on the cutting edge :-). Though, you may want to watch
>out for 'em -- don't think it'll make people too happy to have code
>that requires the brand-spanking-new-2.2. Especially since I still
>see messages with people using 1.5.2 (gack!).

I'm not going to be able to look at getting the code to
work under older Pythons, at least not for a week or so.
There are two places which need to be fixed:
  - weakref was introduced in 2.1 and is used to prevent
      cyclical data structures
  - yield was introduced in 2.2 and is used as part of
      the iteration return value.

The first can't be fixed very easily, but I don't think it
will leak all that much memory.  (Need to investigate.)

The second is easy to fix - I just need to make an iterator
adapter.  But no time for now.  :(

BTW, I now have 90 minutes to talk at the O'Reilly conference.
I'm taking suggestions for what to present.

                    Andrew