[Biopython-dev] Bioformat module

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Fri Jan 4 07:03:43 EST 2002

Andrew:
> Thanks! to both of you.  And I guess you're running a
> 2.2 version of Python, since I have some 'yield' statements
> in there.  :)

Yup, always on the cutting edge :-). Though, you may want to watch
out for 'em -- don't think it'll make people too happy to have code
that requires the brand-spanking-new-2.2. Especially since I still
see messages with people using 1.5.2 (gack!).

> There's going to be a few more changes.

Definately understood. I was just interested in learning what was
going on so I thought I would add GenBank to the fray. I should
eventually work on a GenBank writer, etc. But not right now :-).

> >Attached is the format registration stuff, that
> >goes in Bioformats/formats/genbank.py for anyone who is interested
> >in duplicating this.
>
> Wasn't attached.

Whoops! I can just add this to CVS (if you don't mind), once you
check things in.

> Shouldn't need that.  The identification code should always
> reseek the file to the beginning after it's finished.

Cool. Good to know -- I was just going directly off what was in the
README. Don't want to stray too far from the path and get lost!

> Should it be under Bio (Bio.Bioformats) or parallel to it?
> Unlike Martel, I don't see it as being distributed outside
> of Biopython, so I would think under.  And I think the
> Biopython code will have hooks to it as well.  Okay, so under
> it is.

Sounds good to me. Idly, do you want Bio.Bioformats or Bio.Formats?

Brad
--
PGP public key available from http://pgp.mit.edu/