[Biopython-dev] Python version

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Tue Nov 6 19:58:10 EST 2001

Gavin:
> > >And is there a particular version of python we should be programming
> > >to?

Jeff:
> > We're currently only requiring Python 2.0, but perhaps it's time to
> > reevaluate that.

Gavin:
> One advantage of moving biopython to python 2.1 is that you can
> presumable remove all of the PyUnit code thats in Biopython, since PyUnit
> is now included.
>
> Perhaps we could always use the latest stable python version, at least
> so long as biopython is in alpha!

I think you may have misunderstood Jeff. Python 2.0 is the minimum
version needed for biopython. I use biopython with 2.0, 2.1 and
2.2pre-releases (depending on how lazy I am at updating the python
the machine), and everything works fine.

The regression tests sometimes report problems between different
python versions and on different architectures (and in different
phases of the moon :-), and we try to take care of these when they
are noticed. If you run a test itself (ie. python test_Whatever.py),
then it should work fine, but the regression comparison with the old
output is what will fail.

We do our best to keep these up to date, but I know I have been
especially slack in working on this recently due to the excessive
amount of lab work I've had to do.

Too-many-mini-preps-to-think-clearly-about-regression-tests-ly yr's,
Brad
--
PGP public key available from http://pgp.mit.edu/