[Biopython-dev] Genbank

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Wed Jan 24 06:05:08 EST 2001

Cayte:
>   As we bundle packages like Martel and TextTools, we need to agree on a
> standard for pathing.  When I tried to run test_genbank.py, python did not
> find them because they were not on PYTHONPATH.  My method is to store the in
> a folder under Python20Lib and use a prefix
>
>  We need to agree on some cookbook rules.

This is a good point, but I think it will mostly taken care of by
Martel and mxTextTools moving to use Distutils for installation. In
this case, these will be installed to a directory on the PYTHONPATH by
default, and if the person installing them puts them elsewhere on
their system, then they need to change their PYTHONPATH or whatever.

BTW, Windows is really the only platform without a good default place
to put third party modules. Both UNIX and Macintosh use the
lib/site-packages directory to put these modules. This is more a
general python on Windows problem (IMHO) then a Biopython specific
problem, though.

Brad