[Biopython-dev] WIT and KEGG

Jeffrey Chang jchang at SMI.Stanford.EDU
Wed Aug 15 01:50:20 EDT 2001

At 10:52 PM -0700 8/11/01, Cayte wrote:
>From: "Tarjei S Mikkelsen" <tarjei at genome.wi.mit.edu>
>  >  Instead I suggest that you either run the input through
>>  File.SGMLHandle or File.SGMLStripper before you pass the
>>  WIT record to KEGG.Enzyme.Parser OR write a separate Parser
>>  class in your WIT module that wraps a ParserSupport.SGMLStrippingConsumer
>>  around KEGG.Enzyme._Consumer.
>>
>   The problem is I'm experimenting with a filter to strip out junk ( not
>necessarily html ) between records.
>The motivation is that I've had Martel fail on just an extraneous line feed.
>Somehow the idea of chaining two filters together trips a watch for bugs
>alarm in my mind.

I agree with Tarjei that these should be separated out, if possible.
Yes, there's a possibility of bugs when chaining filters together,
but having two entities developed and debugged separately should have
fewer bugs (and easier maintenance) than a system where all the
functionality is munged together.

Jeff