[Biopython-dev] rebase

Cayte katel at worldpath.net
Mon Jul 24 00:46:24 EDT 2000

  Looking at the text rebase files, I noticed a difference between the Internet Explorer conversion to text and the Netscape Navigator version.  The Netscape version tries to preserve more of the look and feel of the html file, but both try to preserve indention.  It ocurred to me that it might be useful to have our own converter to prevent bugs caused by variations in browsers.  It would also eliminate the need for stripping whitespace.  The utility would simply remove the angle bracketted stuff and forget about how it looks on a page.  But the converter  could be written most efficiently in perl. Are we having mixed language applications?  The advantage is that you can use each language for what its best at.  The disadvantage is that users have to install lots of compilers.

 The utility could be useful in a lot of places, since many databases use HTML.  This is nice for human viewers but its a hassle if its being used as input to other software.

                                                           Cayte