[Biopython-announce] Biopython projects with NESCent for GSoC 2013

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu May 30 16:18:41 UTC 2013

Dear all,

After the disappointing news that the Open Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF)
was not accepted as a Google Summer of Code (GSoC) organisation this
year, Biopython was fortunate to once again offer some projects with the
NESCent team:

http://informatics.nescent.org/wiki/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2013

As always the student proposals have been very competitive, and we've
not been able to take on everyone. This year NESCent was fortunately to
be able to accept seven students through GSoC and one through the GNOME
Outreach Program for Women. Two of these GSoC projects are Biopython
related:

    Codon Alignment and Analysis in Biopython
    Student: Zheng Ruan
    Mentors: Eric Talevich, Peter Cock
    http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/rzzmh12345/32001

    Phylogenetics in Biopython: Filling in the gaps
    Student: Yanbo Ye
    http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/yeyanbo/45001
    Mentors: Mark Holder, Jeet Sukumaran, Eric Talevich

Thank you NESCent, and congratulations to Zheng Ruan and Yanbo Ye!

I'm hoping you're already setting up a blog, which I hope you'll be able to
use for roughly weekly progress reports during the summer - CC'd to the
biopython-dev mailing list and the NESCent  Phyloinformatics Summer of
Code forum on Google+,

https://plus.google.com/communities/105828320619238393015

An introduction to your project would be a great idea for your first post -
here's Bow's from last year as an example:

http://bow.web.id/blog/2012/04/google-summer-of-code-is-on/
http://bow.web.id/blog/2012/08/summers-over/
http://bow.web.id/blog/tag/gsoc/

The idea here is to keep the wider community informed about how
your project is going.

On behalf of the Biopython developers, congratulations! We're
looking forward to another productive Summer of Code :)

Peter