[Biopython-announce] Biopython, Numeric and numpy

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 11:21:58 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I posted this to our news server last month, but with hindsight it was
probably worth sending out to the Biopython announcement mailing list
too.

http://news.open-bio.org/news/2008/09/biopython-numeric-and-numpy/

> To date, Biopython releases have relied on the original numerical
> python library, Numeric (used in python with "import Numeric").
> In the next release we will at last be moving to its successor,
> NumPy (used in python with "import numpy").
>
> This transition is already under way in the Biopython source
> code repository.  For further details, or to voice your opinion or
> enthusiasm, please join the Biopython Mailing List(s).
>
> Finally, for anyone interested in the background story, the
> SciPy project has a page describing the history of the
> numerical python libraries.

Note that this will be a simple switch: Biopython 1.48 and older need
Numeric, thereafter you need NumPy.  There is no problem having both
Numeric and NumPy installed on the same machine.

Peter

P.S.
See http://biopython.org/wiki/News for news server links, including
RSS feeds etc.