[Biopython-announce] Dalke Scientific provides commercial support for Biopython

Andrew Dalke dalke@dalkescientific.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:30:37 +0100

Dalke Scientific Software announces commercial support for Biopython

Andrew Dalke announced at BOSC on July 19th that his company, Dalke
Scientific Software, now provides commercial consulting and support
services for Biopython. Biopython is an international collaboration
to collect and produce open source bioinformatics tools written in
the Python programming language.   "One of the complaints people
have about open source software," said Andrew, "is the lack of support.
"We now offer that support, so a company that wants to use Biopython
can hire us for consulting, customization, debugging, documentation,
and training."

This announcement marks the first commerical support available for
any of the projects associated with Open Bioinformatics Foundation -
a list that includes Bioperl, BioJava, BioXML, and BioCORBA. Said
Chris Dagdigian of Blackstone Technology Group and The Open
Bioinformatics Foundation, "[this is] absolutely amazing and a real
milestone in how far we have come since the mid 1990's."

Dalke Scientific Software been a longtime supporter and advocate of
Biopython. Andrew Dalke and Jeffrey T. Chang co-founded Biopython in
August 1999 and since then Dalke Scientific has contributed several
components to Biopython, including the Martel parsing technology,
the Mindy indexing system, and the standard sequence class.