[Bioperl-pipeline] database connections

jeremyp at sgx3.bmb.uga.edu jeremyp at sgx3.bmb.uga.edu
Fri Mar 14 12:29:12 EST 2003

Hi,

When I run the pipeline software, if all of the nodes on our cluster are
utilized, I start seeing database connection errors. The errors basically
indicate that a connection to the database could not be made because too
many connections are already open. The modules I have written do use the
database server, but I am calling disconnect in each as soon as the data
they need has been retrieved - so I don't think this is the problem. I
looked at the PipeConf file on the cvs server and I noticed this:

    # tell IOHandler.pm to release dbconnections once fetch is done so that
    # number of connections is hopefully minimized
    RELEASE_DBCONNECTION => 0,

Is this perhaps the solution to my problem? Also, I am using an older
version of bioperl pipeline (from December), so I'd have to upgrade to use
this it seems (I already plan to upgrade, but I may upgrade sooner if this
is the case). Thanks.

Jeremy