[Bioperl-pipeline] Genewise matters

Wiepert, Mathieu Wiepert.Mathieu@mayo.edu
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 07:44:52 -0500

Hi,

I had a few questions about how I might want to set some things up.  Here is my set-up:

I have a local Linux box, set up with mySQL, bioperl-pipeline, and what I think are al the required other parts (bioperl-run, etc).  I also have a blast server available to me, but it is not on the same machine.  So I need to somehow remotely invoke all the nice commands I want (We have blast, EMBOSS, genscan, etc, on a few other production servers).

Is this something that is simple to do?  I only started thinking about it when I was reading the example in the bioperl-pipeline-run page, and it said I needed Blast and RepeatMask binaries installed.  I can't yet set up a db on the production machine, and not sure if I will ever be able to, at least on the same machine.

I haven't really thought much about it, I can rsh to the machines, I can telnet to them and have accounts on them all.  On our cluster, we don't have a load balancer, so I wrote a script that distributes my blasts to all the nodes on it, so I imagine I would have to run that remotely, and then somehow suck my output back.

So, is this a silly idea?  I assume I am not the only one in this situation, what have others done?

-Mat