[Bioperl-pipeline] pipelinemanager wish

Shawn shawnh@fugu-sg.org
22 Aug 2002 18:53:04 +0800

Hi Guys,
	I would like to see this feature in the PipelineManager. Say we want to
kill the PipelineManager, but in a nice controlled manner (not system
failure) I want to have the option to do a nice shutdown/interrupt. In
other words be able to do some rollback and shutdown. Things that need
to be done:

Kill all jobs that are in the running and reading stage
Let all jobs in writing stage to finish.
Delete all completed jobs, and move to completed_job table.
Set all submitted jobs to fail. ( I don't see a suspend mode as being
different from failing)

Then when starting up the pipeline again, it will just start running all
the failed jobs.

Another shutdown mode would be a forced shutdown whereby you just kill
all jobs, set everything not completed to failed. Of course, the state
of your pipeline is unstable since you don't know how many outputs were
already written for those in writing stage.

the interrupt mechanism maybe some  file or some table or have
pipelinemanager reading a ctrl char from the terminal.

this is what I can think of so far..probably malformed so let me know.

shawn