[Bioperl-l] Biology database looking for a new home

Mark A Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Mon May 7 19:08:35 UTC 2018

You might have a look at data.world (https://data.world) - It might be the
right kind of place for this, since folks there want to make data usable
and connect it with analysts, not just store it like a Dropbox.

On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 2:19pm, Peter Cock < p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
[p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com] > wrote:
The missing URL for the project: https://nativeplants.evergreen.ca/

Quoting the message:

 > The Native Plant Database is retiring on May 31st
 >
 > 15 years ago, Evergreen launched the Native Plant Database
 > as a tool to support our work in urban greenspace stewardship
 > and restoration across Canada. In the years since, our focus
 > as an organization has evolved and unfortunately we are
 > unable to dedicate the necessary resources to maintain the
 > Database in good order. After much deliberation, we have
 > decided that it is necessary to decommission the Native Plant
 > Database, effective May 31st, 2018.
 >
 > After this date, the Database website will be taken offline. If
 > you have registered an account, your personal information
 > will be deleted from our server, including all saved plant lists.
 > If you would like to save your lists or any plant information,
 > please do so by printing it prior to May 31st.
 >
 > If possible, it is our hope to transfer the Database to another
 > organization who will continue to expand the work and
 > contributions from Database visitors. If you work for an
 > organization that would be interested in taking on this
 > responsibility, please contact Lisa Ditschun at
 > lditschun at evergreen.ca.
 >
 > Thank you for your interest, contributions and support of
 > our Native Plant Database.

End quote.

I would suggest depositing a long term read only export at
Zenodo (http://about.zenodo.org/) for long term archiving
backed by CERN.

However, hosting for an ongoing live copy of the database
is less straightforward. I don't think think this is something
BioPerl or the Open Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF) would
take on, but there is a chance one of our members may have
a good idea - perhaps a botanical garden or natural history
museum?

Peter
(OBF board member, but speaking here in a personal
capacity)