[Bioperl-l] Where is Bio-Graphics?

Carnë Draug carandraug+dev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 15:27:10 UTC 2017

On 20 February 2017 at 01:03, Fields, Christopher J
<cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:

>>> https://github.com/GMOD/Bio-Graphics
>>>

>>So is Bio-Graphics part of the GMOD project and not BioPerl?
>
> Lincoln could probably best indicate the history here, but
> Bio-Graphics was actually part of the main bioperl distribution for
> quite a while (up until 1.5.2 I think).  IIRC we felt it best to
> split it out around the time that Gbrowse2 development kicked into
> high gear, since it’s a pretty self-contained set of modules with a
> sometimes troublesome-to-install dependency (GD).  We left it up to
> Lincoln, who I think felt it best fit under the GMOD umbrella.

The way I came across Bio-Graphics was through bioperl-live logs.
This seems to have been the first distribution to be excised from the
core in 2009 [1] but also seems to have been an independent event and
not part of the plan to reorganise bioperl into smaller modules which
only appears mentioned in 2011 [2].

The pod of Bio-Graphics still only mentions the bioperl project in the
feedback section so that's a bit confusing.  It reads like it's part
of bioperl.  A link on their metadata file to the repository or bug
tracker could also help.

Carnë

[1] https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-live/blob/master/Changes#L714
[2] https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-live/blob/master/Changes#L375