[Bioperl-l] Bioperl/cygwin/ubuntu installation issues

lawrence.benbow at gmail.com lawrence.benbow at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 14:04:35 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I'm new to bioperl and I have tried with no success to install on both
Windows 8/Cygwin and ubuntu(Mint). I hope that someone can point me in the
right direction.

I have followed the instructions in the bioperl wiki. In both cases I tried
using the CPAN method which had multiple dependency issues, then reverted
to downloading and building the modules manually. I just kept getting more
and more dependency errors until I finally gave up. Here's a list of the
modules I had to install:

Algorithm-Diff-1.1903.tar.gz
BioPerl-1.6.924.tar.gz
Class-Data-Inheritable-0.08.tar.gz
CPAN-Meta-2.143240.tar.gz
CPAN-Meta-Requirements-2.133.tar.gz
CPAN-Meta-YAML-0.012.tar.gz
Data-Stag-0.14.tar.gz
Devel-StackTrace-2.00.tar.gz
Exception-Class-1.39.tar.gz
inc-latest-0.500.tar.gz
IO-String-1.08.tar.gz
JSON-PP-2.27300.tar.gz
Module-Build-0.4211.tar.gz
Parse-CPAN-Meta-1.4414.tar.gz
Sub-Uplevel-0.25.tar.gz
Test-Deep-0.115.tar.gz
Test-Differences-0.63.tar.gz
Test-Exception-0.38.tar.gz
Test-Most-0.34 (1).tar.gz
Test-Most-0.34.tar.gz
Test-NoWarnings-1.04.tar.gz
Test-Simple-1.001014.tar.gz
Test-Warn-0.30.tar.gz
Text-Diff-1.41 (1).tar.gz
Text-Diff-1.41.tar.gz

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? I know it can't be this difficult!

Best, Larry